Sunday, April 02, 2006

Clearing some land


Most of my property is a ponderosa pine forest with some other kinds of firs or evergreen trees. There is one huge juniper tree that is like a huge, perfectly shaped Christmas tree. I'll dig up a picture of it soon. I have Douglas firs, White pines, scrub oak and just plain evergreens, too.

This week, I'm having the yard areas closest to the mobile home pruned. Ponderosa pines crave sunlight so as they grow tall, the tree cuts off the nutrients to the lower limbs. So they always look scraggly on the bottom parts.

The three trees right by Chuck are dead or diseased [bark beetle got to them]. Bark beetles don't like water, so in dry years, the ponderosa pine forests really suffer from infestations of them. The tree Chuck is cutting was killed by bark beetles. the ones right to the right of this one were endangering my dog fence.

No comments: